Friday, February 3, 2012

magic onions!

So recently I learned through the Power of the Internet that if you put the white parts of green onions into a glass of water, they will magically regenerate and you will always have green onions. I figured it was worth a shot, so the next time I used green onions (for miso soup), I put them into a small glass of water. And lo and behold!
 I took that picture last week so the onions are even taller now and ready to be sliced up the next time I'm peckish. Never ending onions! Thank you, Internet! Now I have to ask...do those of you who have green thumbs have any other tips like this? Is there another vegetable that will magically regenerate if I put it in a glass of water? As crafty as I can be, I've never been able to get into gardening because I make plants die.

In other cooking news, I managed not to succumb to the siren song of sushi takeout, and made myself a quick soup. Can of white beans, onions and red bell peppers that were already chopped up and leftover from another dinner, a whole head of garlic (yeah, that's right), can of green chiles, veggie broth. Boil, simmer, eat. I like it when it's simple.

2 comments:

  1. Really?! We actually just bought some (I call them scallions) for a recipe, so I'll definitely be trying this.

    I don't know of other plants you could grow in water off the top of my head, but you could try different herbs. Ooh, mint might work. If you're up for trying something involving soil (I swear it's easy), you could grow microgreens: baby lettuce, essentially. If you google "microgreens" and "yougrowgirl," there should be a description of how to set it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're doing the green onions thing, too! In fact, Macey was so impressed that she fashioned her entire science project around it. :) Woot for never ending onions!!!

    ReplyDelete